Wild Encounters consist of education-based programs with up-close and personal animal experiences! There are several packages to choose from, dependent on the type of animal you’re interested in interacting with.
Each Wild Encounter includes a 30-45 minute program that includes going beyond the public barriers and/or behind the scenes. Each package offers a unique feature dependent on the species.
To book a Wild Encounters package, please contact the Binghamton Zoo Education Department at (607) 724-5461 ext. 235.
- Wild Encounters are offered on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays
- Packages/pricing is valid for up to 3 participants (additional 1 or 2 participants can be added for $25 per person)
- All participants must be 7 years or older. Participants under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult
- Zoo admission is included in the package (if zoo is closed, participants will receive complimentary admission passes for a future date)
- Book at least 2 weeks in advance (popularity of program may push back availability – book early!)
- Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park members receive a $15 discount
- All participants will receive a waiver to read through and sign, with the understanding that if they do not follow instructions, they will be asked to leave the Wild Encounter
- Boots or sneakers are required
- An education staff member will greet participants and give an introduction to the animal as a species in general, including their native habitat, diets, and behaviors. At this time, experience procedures will be reviewed and the waiver should be signed.
- Participants will then meet the zookeeper assigned on the day of the program and begin their up-close animal experience.
- Education staff will be present during the entire Wild Encounter to capture the interactive experience, and participants will receive a 4×6 printed photo at the end (not included in leopard encounter, no photos will be allowed during this experience).
- 10% of your Wild Encounter admission will be added to the Binghamton Zoo’s Global Conservation Fund for this year! Learn more about our conservation projects and partners here.
→ If you are viewing this page on a mobile device, use your finger to scroll to the right of this chart.
|Wild Encounter||Time||Price/Availability||Special Feature|
|Children’s Zoo (goats)||9:30 am||$100/Available April – November||Participate in a goat training session & grooming|
|African penguin||11:00 am||$225||Offer a special enrichment item|
|New World Tropics (includes two-toed sloth & prehensile-tailed porcupine)*||11:00 am||$225||Feed the animals|
|Red panda** (limited availability)||1:00 pm||$350/Available February 21 – April 14 (Thursday, Saturday, Sunday)||Offer a special enrichment item|
|Snow leopard||10:00 am||$300||Observe a training session|
*Due to the popularity of the New World Tropics program, booking is now required several months in advance.
**Red panda encounters are unavailable during breeding season and while a cub is present.